Thursday, November 8, 2012

Slicing open my foot.

Ok with a title like this you can expect a good story. Well I wont leave you disappointed I hope (P.S this story does include blood so read on at your own discretion). So My best friend in the world lives down in a little town called Delta Utah. Its a really small town and it is quite a ways from my home town of Sandy Utah. Because of that I didn't get to see him very often but about once a year I would go down to Delta for about a week and we would have a blast! It was always a ton of fun!
  Well on one of these visits my friend and I had to go into town with his mom to run a few errands. On the way home his mom stopped to talk to someone that she knew. So we were sitting there in the truck bored and just like the classic teenager 10 minutes felt like 2 hours! So we told his mom that we would walk the 2 or so miles home.
  So we were on our way! Walking along the side of the road. Well Jon (my best friend) is a classic country boy and always walks around without shoes on. So we were walking along the side of the road and Jon decided to walk in the big irrigation ditch that are all along the road down there. There was a tiny bit of water running down in there so it was more comfortable for his feet.
  At the beginning of the walk I was just walking along side the ditch just off of the road. I knew that I shouldn't get down there in the ditch. It was just something that I knew. Well after a while I gave into the pressure, and I decided to take off my shoes and get into the ditch. (Great choice huh?)
  So we were walking along for quite a while in the ditch and we were almost home, when out of the blue I slip and almost do the splits. But luckily I caught myself. I looked at Jon and said "That was close." It was then that I noticed a red line flowing in the water by Jon's feet. Well I picked my foot up and it was covered in blood! So of course I instantly fall onto my butt in this disgusting water and start screaming. (What can I say it hurt) So to make a long story shorter Jon ran the rest of the way to his house and got his mom to bring the truck. (Funny that she beet us home by a long shot.) I ended up getting 8 stiches in my big toe. And now I have a pretty cool scar from it.
  But it could have been much worse! The water wasn't exactly clear if you know what I mean. But all of that could have been avoided if I had listened to the feeling that I had had to stay out of the ditch! I didn't really understand the spirit and understand the protection that it provides. The spirit is here to protect us, to guide us, and to warn us of dangers that lie in our path.

But how do we recognize those feelings as guidance from the spirit like they really are? Moroni, a prophet in The Book of Mormon teaches us how to recognize if something is of God.

Moroni 7:12 Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually. 
13 But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God.

So that is the test! Does it invite us to do good? To believe in God? Then it is of God and we need to follow it! I am so grateful for the warning voice of the spirit that protects me not only from physical danger but also from spiritual dangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment