Friday, June 29, 2012

Wandering through the dark.

A couple of weeks ago we had the opportunity to go spelunking (Cave Exploring)! In one of the caves that we went in, a group of 6 missionaries crawled through a hole in the rock into a large cavern. While we were there we took a moment and turned off all our lights. We were far back in the cave and there was absolutley no visible light. We sat there for a couple of minutes in the dark and pondered. Its strange looking back at that experience and the things that I learned from a moment in the dark.

This experience really made me realize the blessing that light is. Its funny that I didn't really look at light as a blessing until I was in a place where there was absolutely no light. And without that light I wasn't going anywhere. I was trapped without light. As I was thinking about this I thought of the "light" of the gospel. And where I would be at without this "light" in my life. Again I would be trapped. There would be no where for me to go.
 
    It talks about an experience like this in the Book of Mormon. The story, often referred to as Lehi's dream is found in 1 Nephi 8 and 11 in the Book of Mormon.

     In this dream it talks about a lot of different people and their journey to the "Tree of Life". This represents each of us on our trip back to God. In the dream there comes a "Mist of Darkness", which overcomes the people as they are on the path. Making it impossible to see the path and find the tree.  Throughout my life I have had many such moments when I feel surrounded by a Mist of Darkness. When hard times come and we don't know where to go.

What saved the people in Lehi's dream was a "Rod of Iron". This rod represented the word of God or in other words, the gospel. The mist of Darkness fell on both the people that were holding onto the gospel as well as to the people that were not. The difference was the iron rod! The gospel can help us get trough the mists of darkness, it provide "light" when all we see is darkness.


With the light provided by our headlamps we were able to find our way out of the cave and with the gospel we can find our way through any mists of darkness that might overtake us! Im so thankful for the oppourtunity that I have to have this light in my life! This light has been provided for me by Jesus Christ and he has given it to me through the Book of Mormon. Read the Book of Mormon and find it for yourself!

Please visit Mormon.org or comment here if you have any questions!


1 comment: